About

Welcome to the home of MetaTalks Podcast. This weekly podcast is a continuing open conversation and dialogue between two friends, @eljeppy and @alachia. Frequent conversations will pertain to the online world we call the "meta' and its cultural emergings. You will notice also that our shows are recorded in binaural format so it is highly recommend you listen using headphones rather than speakers. It's an experiment we are trying out to better enhance the "space" and experience of listening to podcasts online. Read more about who we are »

Latest Episode Featured Work

Keep in touch

Twitter Twitter Facebook

Email Us

email

Field Trip Recap

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Thanks again for everyone who came and shared the horde express train with us. I had a very good time. The tour was hilarious as it was quite beautiful. It rained! Totally unexpected but very nice. One thing cool about the VR, weather is much more appreciated and it doesn't deter us from going "outdoors". heh.

We took off from Red Cloud Mesa around 8:12pm. We hit Undercity by 10pm.
The horde starting zones and cities are so vastly different from the Alliance side. Everything is very tribal and very "native" feeling to the earth. You saw a lot of windchimes and trinkets hanging about the doorways of huts and buildings. They seemed more spiritual in a way than the industrialized zones of Stormwind and Ironforge for sure.

Our first stop was Bloodhoof village, which I kind of gather is equivalent to either Auberdine or Goldshire. I really liked the openness of it and there was a giant lake just to the north of it as well.

Thunderbluff was a bit confusing for me because of all the rises but I'm sure if you visited it enough you'd be able to wrap your head around the different levels and bridges etc. The view from Thunderbluff was amazing though. There's nothing like that at all on the Alliance side. A city that overlooks a vast countryside.

Crossroads was how I remembered it from the Alliance side. It looks like it sounds but just outside the gates atop a cliff, there lies the Shrine of the Fallen Warrior. Kitch gave me the coords and we went to go visit the grave site. It was a memorial in the game in honor of a fallen animator who died while WoW was still being developed.
It was a quiet and solemn stop during our field trip and quite appropriate I thought considering how much our adventure was about all of us admiring this game.

Ogrimmar is vast! It seemed so large to me.. Out of all the cities in WoW, this one really felt like a city with clusters of shelters sprawled throughout different levels and tunnels. I think the only one I've seen that has the same vast feel is the BE one.

The Zeplin is always a favorite of mine. I road my first one a year after I started playing. They are so much more fun than the alliance boats because of the view they offer and of course that heightened feeling of flying :)

On my way over to Red Cloud Mesa, I boarded the Zeplin and thought I could stand on the tip of the boat without falling off. Apparently, those railings are just aesthetic. :) I was like "OH Sh337!" And then Felix and Spurlock had to wait with me again for the Zep to cycle through. Lesson learned.

Our final stop was the Undercity. It's a pretty creepy city that has a very claustraphobic feel to it since you know you're underground. (under-city, I get it! lol) Thanks to Xelaere, we got to see a live performance by Lady Sylvanas. It's a very haunting song. You can check out a lot of videos of it on youtube.

I really appreciated the fun little tour provided by Spurlock. It allowed me to really see the other side without actually playing for the horde. It's really a whole other side of the game I probably will never experience. I think that's kind of amazing though...that while we share the same game, our experiences and environments can vary greatly.

Pics to be added shortly.

If you'd like to read how our field trip went:
Meta Field Trip Transcript

Video Montage of the Field Trip:


...

1 comments:

  1. Brian V. (aka Spurlock) said...

    Awesome video!

    I had an awesome time on Thursday. I want to go back and read the transcript because I didn't get to read a lot of the raid chat during our excursion.

    Thanks Alachia!